PASTOR/DIRECTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
JOB DESCRIPTION & APPLICATION
The Pastor/Director of Student Ministries will provide vision, direction, and shepherding of the Middle School (Grades 6-8) and High School (Grades 9-12) student ministries. The position is responsible for coordinating the overall ministry to students and their families at our Laurel campus. By and large, this role will recruit, train, and maintain volunteer leaders, while assisting and equipping parents, alongside educating and ministering to students in the church. This position is open to being a pastor or director based on the candidate’s experience and calling. It is a full-time position and becomes available September 2017.
What We Are Searching For
The ideal candidate for the role of Pastor/Director of Student Ministries will be passionate, strategic, and collaborative. He is expected to think strategically about the evangelistic growth of the Student Ministry as a whole, while continually developing adult leaders and equipping them to build successful relationships with students and their parents. He should be able to walk the line between a strategic visionary and a relational builder.
- Spiritual growth evident among students and adult volunteers
- Thrive in leading in a multi-cultural environment
- Developing and progressing relationships with students
- A vibrant small group ministry to students
- A highly collaborative environment that necessitates parent involvement
- Gives and welcomes relevant feedback to improve performance
- A well-planned annual event portfolio
- Balances team and individual responsibilities
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit
- Puts success of team above own interests
- Growing the number of volunteer leaders
Qualifications and Requirements
A bachelor’s degree is required, although a master’s degree in ministry or a related field is preferred. At least 3 years in ministry leadership. Additional competencies for the role include:
- A proven record of effective leadership and accountability
- Ability to contextualize with those of diverse backgrounds
- A shepherd’s heart to serve
- Ability to connect and build relationships with church leadership
- A high degree of communication skills
- An active prayer life
- The ability to maintain a biblical work/life balance
- Experience in casting vision, setting goals, and establishing measures for success
About First Baptist Church of Laurel
Laurel, Maryland is located on Interstate 95 between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. It is home to one of the most diverse populations in the entire United States. The people who make up First Baptist Church Laurel (FBCL) are representative of the diversity found in the community with over 40 nations represented in our resident members. In the early 2000’s, FBCL began to embrace the vision of being a leader in multi-cultural ministry. That vision continues today under the leadership of Pastor Brent Brewer, and a staff committed to seeing the Gospel presented to all nations – both locally and abroad. Pastors and other staff members serve long tenures at FBCL. This is due to a congregation devoted to hearing the voice of God in the calling process, and partnership in ministry once the staff member is called.
Families in our region can take advantage of top educational opportunities through public, private, Christian, and home-school groups that rate among the highest in the nation. Recreational activities abound. Maryland is as diverse in its landscape as it is in population. From Laurel, a short drive to the west will take you to mountain country with camping and hiking opportunities. A short drive to the east will take you to the pride of Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay and one of America’s oldest beach boardwalks at Ocean City, Maryland. These are in addition to all the great activities, museums, restaurants and sports that both of our major cities offer.
Get to know us on Facebook:
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit, in addition to their resume, a one page cover letter describing your understanding of discipleship and being missional, the basis of your faith journey, comments on your personal devotional life, and why you sense God is leading you to serve in Laurel, Maryland. All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.